kids

kids

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Sewing lessons...eeeeek!

 First,
I looked over and saw Noah like this only his hands were stuck on the inside of the pockets... So since these pajama pants were already destined for the trash... I just went ahead and snipped open the pockets so he could slip his arms out.  (we later snipped the legs shorter so he could walk...) and we drew the drawstring waistband up around the neck and he thinks it's awesome.  So...there you go...recycled pj pants for someone Noah's size or smaller.  No sew.  Hahahahahaha


The girls have been asking me to teach them how to sew forever.
Forever.
Last time I let them do this, they were younger and I was terrified of the needle sewing their fingers...
But after seeing several other kids their ages who are able to sew, I figured we'd give it a try again.
So, despite my racing heart, we gave it a go...

and it went amazingly well.  Go figure.
 
 First we started by sewing lines on paper with no tread and the speed on the slowest it could possibly go...  We did straight and wavy lines.
Abby got the hang of it right away and barely even left the confines of the line.

Emma sews like she rides a bike.
Which means she looks at everything but the sewing machine.
She's very, very, very, very observant and notices every single thing in the room but it's hard to keep her focused on those little fingers and that glistening needle...

 
She may or may not have been visually impaired as well since she insisted on being a "girl with glasses." today...


 
 (I tell you...everything but the machine...)

 After we got the hang of sewing in straight lines, I let them make skirts for their dolls.  We just used the simple rectangle method to make skirts so that they could keep practicing straight lines.  Hem the bottom...hem the top extra big for a drawstring, and then hem the inside seam... easy enough 3 straight lines...

(and I had to piece a bit onto their rectangles with other fabric because I'm down to scraps that don't really fit around American Girl sized dolls anymore so I made a patchwork size rectangle, then they did the 3 above mentioned lines and they threaded the drawstring through the waistband.)


In the mean time, Jubi, Noah, and Isaiah were playing on the loft.
It could get a little claustrophobic in my sewing closet with all 3 of us (and sometimes Madeleine or Jubilee in there too...) so he I am getting some air... and keeping Jubilee from scribbling on walls or something...



The finished product.  ;)  (or rather, the proud girl who made it, since you can't really see the skirt.)


"Take a picture of my doll, Mom.  Take a picture of my doll."


"Take a picture of me sitting down like this..."

skirt #2


Now Isaiah wants me to teach him how to sew a dragon...
I'm going to have to think about this one...maybe fabric markers drawing a dragon on a pillow case?  

No comments:

Post a Comment